Cantieri - Footwear and leather goods
Catania - Via Etnea, 187
The history of the Cantieri shop, closely linked to the name of the Sciolto family, begins in Acireale before the Second World War. The founder Rosario, using half the room in Corso Umberto where he lived as a workshop, began his business as a shoemaker. In 1935 he moved to larger premises where he began selling leather and footwear. During the Allied occupation, the warehouse of the Sciolto company was entirely burgled but Rosario, supported by his son Salvatore, did not lose heart and continued the business with enthusiasm and inventiveness rewarded by great sales success. In those years, the elegant point of sale in Catania was opened in Corso Sicilia, establishing itself as an emblem of quality and seriousness. At the end of the seventies, however, the company had to face epochal changes that put it in crisis and, in order not to fire its over 150 employees, Salvatore continued his business until 1984 when four of his sons opened a shop in Via Etnea 187. They personally renovated it, spending day and night on the construction site and, precisely for this reason, they decided to call it "Cantieri". This new adventure, to which other sales points will be added in Catania and Acireale, proves to be the means to confirm the professional prestige of the family. The six Sciolto brothers, the third generation of passionate entrepreneurs, all collaborate in the management of the business which today relives its ancient lustres.